Saturday, June 6, 2009

Excerpt from 'Roller Coaster Ride With Brain Injury (For Loved Ones)

Doing Things His Way

"Larry is convinced that he can walk (in spite of his two broken legs) and insists he can go to the bathroom on his own. He won't listen to the nurses, the doctor or me. "We'll just negotiate the time I have to stay off my leg," he told me.

"Larry," I said with more than a little exasperation, "some things can be negotiated but the healing of bones can't be; it is one of those things that you just have to accept. The healing process can't be hurried but it can be hindered and it definitely can't be negotiated."

"Everything can be negotiated," he answered angrily.

They sent him for x-rays and decided that as yet he hadn't done any extensive damage. After this last escapade they put a monitor on his bed so that if he tried for another adventure, it would alert them. He was extremely angry about the monitor.

"I wasn't walking in the hall," he told me belligerently. "I was up on the roof and no one said anything about that. I spent the night up there and then they left me sitting in a wheelchair all morning. I met Todd at the railway station too and no one worried about that either."

He was becoming an increasingly difficult patient. One of the nurses told me it was for this reason that he wouldn't be going home because of how difficult he would be for me to handle."

No comments:

Post a Comment