Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Excerpt from 'Roller Coaster Ride With Brain Injury (For Loved Ones)'

Chapter Ten

The End of the First Phase

"Larry was leaving the hospital! He was happy to be going home and I was fearful of what I might be facing.

Before we left I talked to the social worker. She gave me information on the Acquired Brain Injury Program which Larry had been referred to. The doctor wanted to talk to me before he discharged Larry to get my assurance that I felt I would be able to handle him. I wasn't sure but felt if he continued with his medications that hopefully it would be alright.

His pleasant mood continued to reign. The following morning I said, "I know you're putting weight on your leg but I'm not going to nag you about it. You know what the consequences are and you are the one who will have to live with them. But I AM going to insist that you take your medication because if you don't, I will be the one who has to bear the consequences of that. And I don't intend to." He took his pill.

..........

Then things began to change drastically."

No comments:

Post a Comment