Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Roller Coaster Ride With Brain Injury (For Loved Ones)"

In the last part of this book, at twelve months post injury, I did a question-and-answer section to see where Larry was at this stage and for comparison for the future. During this period there was much he did not remember. One thing he mentioned that I found rather interesting was that because he had been out of the loop for so long, he felt a little uncomfortable - more like a guest in someone else's home rather than that he was home. Part of this may have had to do with the fact that we had only moved to the house two months before his accident.

........

"Larry initially had no inclination to read my story but later he listened while I read it to him. I told him I was going to tell it like it was and wasn't pulling any punches. He had no problem with that he said, if it helped someone else."

I also included a series of exercises that I did with Larry shortly after his accident. These included orientation aid exercises, memory, therapy and cognitive exercises. I believe very strongly in the value of doing exercises as soon as possible after a brain injury.

1 comment: